CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 8, 2008

THURSDAY THOUGHTS

What Every Mom Wants to Hear


Since Sunday is Mother’s Day, I thought that I would use this week’s Thursday’s Thoughts to share the following. It is from a talk that I gave at a Mother-Daughter banquet a couple of years ago.

My daughters didn’t emerge from the womb and proclaim, “Mother, I understand the great sacrifice you made to bring me into the world. I accept your love and return it unconditionally. I want to be pleasing and obedient to you always.” In fact, I don’t expect that ever, but it would be nice. I’d settle for “thanks for the peanut butter sandwich, mom.” But, I was thinking, what if I could write a script of the things I’d like to hear from my girls now and in the future. As I was thinking, it occurred to me that I’ve probably never said these things to my own mom. So, let me take this opportunity to tell my mom what I think she needs to hear from me. Then, I’m going to laminate the list for my own children.

Mom,

#1 You did a good job and I’m glad that I was born into your family.

#2 I don’t blame you for any mistakes you made. I’m not permanently scarred because you made mistakes. You did all the big things right and you definitely did more good than bad as a parent and as a person.

#3 I appreciate all the sacrifice you made for me. I’m sure that I’m not even aware of half of it.

#4 Thank you.

#5 You gave me the ability to accomplish what I have and I am who I am, in large part, because of you.

#6 You’ve left a lasting legacy because of your “unfeigned and sincere faith.”
In II Timothy, Paul gives credit to Timothy’s mother and grandmother who passed on to him their “sincere faith.” Lois, his grandmother, first taught her daughter, Eunice. She went on to teach Timothy who became an evangelist to the church in Ephesus. Who knows what my two children will accomplish in God’s kingdom because of your example and your dedication to “bringing me up in the way that I should go.”

So, we need a practical application for all the other moms reading this. II Timothy 1:9 says that we’ve been called to a holy life. Make this your first and most important task. Then, entrust your children to the only perfect parent, God. I doubt, if you do these things, that your children will remember your parenting blunders. I can only hope so because I’ve made them all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts, April! I have yet to get myself organized enough to get a TT out there. It's really sweet what you said to your mom. I could say the same to mine.

How have you been feeling? (I was going to email you but then discovered you had a new post up.)

Tabby said...

That was so sweet, April! I feel the same way about our Momma, I just never put into such eloquent words like that. I love that picture of the four of you.

Stacia said...

That was a great T.T. and good to hear for Mother's Day. I really struggle with feeling like my mistakes will affect my children permenatly, but thanks for reminding me that I'm fine and I'm sure my mom made just as many as I have :-)